Churches & Cemeteries
Churches and cemeteries depict the spiritual richness of the region
St. Michael’s Catholic Church’s most unique feature, the Lourdes Grotto, was added to the church in the 1870s. The grotto is housed behind the altar and constructed 18 years after the first apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Modeled after the grotto in Lourdes, France, materials used to create it pay homage to the surrounding region. This grotto is made from bagasse, the dry pulpy residue left after juice from sugarcane is extracted. The recessed dome is fashioned out of an overturned sugar kettle, and the altar is covered with small clam shells from the Mississippi River.
St. Michael’s is also home to the Henry Erben Organ, the oldest working organ of its kind in Louisiana. The organ came to the church by boat in 1857.
Explore the grounds of the Kulgar and Kenner cemeteries in the Bonnet Carre Spillway. The graveyards were originally established for the enslaved in the 1800s and later served as the burial grounds for black Civil War Union Army veterans.
Religion impacted the lives of African Americans during segregation. Built in 1936, our Lady of Grace Church, now located at Historic Riverlands Christian Center exhibits what life was like for black people living under Jim Crow laws and emphasizes different music genres created by African American musicians throughout history in its Soul River Musical Journey.
- Greater Evergreen Baptist Church: 3399 LA Hwy 3125, Paulina, LA 70763 – 225-869-9508
- Historic Riverlands: 123 Redemption Way/480 NW Third Street, Reserve, LA 70763 – 985-536-4717
- Lutcher Methodist Church: 2347 Texas Street, Lutcher, LA 70071 – 225-86905248
- Manresa House of Retreats: 5858 Lousiana Highway 44, Convent, LA 70723- 225-562-3596
- Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church: 13281 Highway 644, Vacherie, LA – 225-265-3953
- St. Charles Borromeo Church & Cemetery: 13396 River Road, Destrehan, LA 70047 – 985-764-6383
- St. John the Baptist Catholic Church & Cemetery: 2361 Highway 18, Edgar, LA 70049 – 985-497-3412
- St. Joseph Catholic Church: 2130 Rectory, Paulina, LA 70763 – 225-869-5751
- St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church: 6476 Lousiana Highway, Convent, LA 70723 – 225-562-3549
- St. Philip Catholic Church: 1175 Highway 18, Vacherie, LA 70090 – 225-265-4085
- St. Charles Borromeo Church and Cemetery: 13396 River Road, Destrehan, LA 70047 – 985-764-6383
Start Planning. PICK AN ITINERARY.
Discover Exciting Ways to Explore
Make planning your next vacation to Louisiana's River Parishes easy. Use one of our trip itineraries to get started.
START BOOKING. FIND THE RESOURCES YOU NEED.
New Orleans PLANTATIONS Country
Explore the 10 historic estates in the River Parishes of Louisiana and discover the stories rooted in their past.
New Orleans SWAMP Country
Create memories learning the folklore of our swamps and viewing gators in their natural habitat.
Andouille was created here, so get out and try the local smokehouses that each have their own version of the "best".
The region out here is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts to explore and find adventure.
Lac Des Allmands
Famous for catfish, Lac Des Allemands is a haven for outdoor sportsmen.
Enjoyed around the world, Perique can only be grown and processed out here.
CAJUN & CREOLE CUISINE
Cajun and Creole cuisine are as necessary to our culture as the people who make it.
Tour buses, shuttles and local airports are all transportation options for the River Parishes.
STAY OUT HERE
Louisiana's River Parishes offers a wide range of lodging options from rustic and quaint to upscale and luxurious.